A crawlspace is a small section found under many homes between the ground and the first floor. As the name indicates, it is a small space—so tight it must be crawled through. Its official function is to provide an access to your home’s ductwork, wiring, plumbing, and other features. Most of the time, this space is forgotten. However, the condition of your crawlspace can have a dramatic effect on your home. A poorly ventilated, unsealed, or wet crawl space can lead to issues such as:
- Mold growth
- Insect or rodent infestation
- Increased humidity and temperature in the area around the crawlspace
- Higher home energy use (as a result of the humidity and temperature problems)
- Higher risk to the equipment and home features located within the crawlspace
- Reduced air quality in the home
Professional crawlspace encapsulation can remediate the issues detailed above and result in your increased comfort and satisfaction with your home. Encapsulation includes crawlspace waterproofing, joint sealing, and air conditioning. The team at All Dry Basement has more than 10 years of experience with crawlspace waterproofing and encapsulation in Saratoga Springs. Each job we undertake is treated like a customized project, but generally, our approach to waterproofing a crawlspace includes:
- Determining candidacy—Crawlspace encapsulation is not always immediately possible. The presence of mold, carbon monoxide, or standing water must be addressed separately and completely before professional crawlspace waterproofing methods can be implemented.
- Applying moisture protection—A crawl space moisture barrier will be laid down on the floor and attached to all piers, foundation walls, and equipment. All openings to the outside will be sealed with strong spray foam and foam board. This will prevent the ground from leaching water and creating a wet crawl space.
- Applying thermal protection—We will also add a thermal barrier to the walls and apply an air seal on all remaining cracks.
- Air conditioning—The best and most energy efficient method of removing moisture from the air will be determined and installed. This may include a small fan or a dehumidifier.
- Performing necessary crawlspace foundation repairs—The team at All Dry Basement can also address issues that may have arisen as a result of a wet crawl space, such as beam damage, cracking, sinking, or sagging.
At All Dry Basement, we stand by our work by offering a 12-year warranty. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, and aim to bring nothing less than the best workmanship to the people of the Capital Region, from Saratoga Springs to Albany and all the way to Glens Falls. For long-term wet crawl space solutions that you can count on, call today.